ROAST PORK WITH CRISPY SKIN
This show-stopping holiday centerpiece will be the talk of the party! You’ll need to prepare it the day before you plan to serve it, which means that the only thing you need to do on the day of the party is roast the pork. Easy and stress-free—just the way we like it!
Serves 8 to 10 Prep Time 40 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours and 30 minutes
2 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
1 tablespoon pink peppercorns (optional)
1 to 2 teaspoons red pepper fl akes
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or basil
1 tablespoon minced rosemary
1 head garlic, minced
2 kilos boneless pork belly, skin on
750 grams pork loin, trimmed to fi t inside pork belly
salt, to season
HOW TO COOK ROAST PORK WITH CRISPY SKIN
1. Toast fennel seeds, pink peppercorns, and red pepper fl akes in a dry frying pan over low heat. Grind toasted spices in a coff ee grinder or pound using a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl. Add sage or basil, rosemary, and garlic. Set aside.
2. Poke the skin of the pork belly all over using a paring knife. Turn it over and score the flesh in a diamond pattern. Liberally rub the belly and pork loin with salt. Rub both belly and loin with the prepared spice mixture.
3. Place the pork loin in the center of the belly. Roll the belly and secure tightly with kitchen twine. Wrap with foil or plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
4. Preheat oven at 300°F. Remove foil or plastic wrap. Place pork on a wire rack set on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Roast for about 11/2 hours or until the internal temperature of the roast registers 150°F on a meat thermometer.
5. Increase heat to 500°F and continue roasting until skin is crisp and blistered, about 20 more minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing.
Labels: ROAST PORK WITH CRISPY SKIN