CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH COFFEE FROSTING AND CARAMEL SAUCE
These decadent cupcakes are the perfect dessert this holiday season! Store leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Makes 12 cupcakes Prep Time 1 hour Baking Time 18 minutes
FOR THE COFFEE FROSTING
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
FOR THE CUPCAKES
1/2 cup butter
2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate (about 1/3 cup)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
store-bought caramel sauce, for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. Make the coffee frosting: Mix coffee powder and vanilla until coffee dissolves; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add confectioners’ sugar 1/4 cup at a time until well incorporated. Increase speed to medium and whip for 1 to 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add dissolved coffee and mix until well combined. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip; set aside.
4. Make the dark chocolate cupcakes: Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and let cool for a few minutes.
5. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugars, and vanilla until smooth. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the sour cream in two batches (starting and ending with the dry ingredients). Stir just until combined. Avoid overbeating the batter.
7. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Assemble the cupcakes: Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes in a swirling motion. Drizzle caramel sauce on top before serving.