Chunky Chili with Parsley Rice
Use parsley as more than just a garnish! Enjoy the fun flavors of a hearty chili dish with a side of parsley rice and tortilla chips.
Serves 4 Prep Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
750 grams beef chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 11/4-inch cubes
2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
2 long green chilies, thinly sliced, plus extra slices to serve
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 (400-gram) can diced tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
1 (400-gram) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
FOR THE PARSLEY RICE
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice, cooked and cooled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon micro cilantro (optional)
sour cream and tortilla chips, to serve
How to Cook Chunky Chili with Parsley Rice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heatproof casserole dish on high heat. Brown beef in 2 batches, 3 to 4 minutes each. Transfer to a plate.
3. Heat remaining oil in the same dish. Sauté bell peppers and chilies for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Add paprika and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
4. Return beef to pan with tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil. Bake, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes, checking occasionally. Remove lid and stir in beans. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the parsley rice: Fluff rice with a fork to separate grains. Set aside. Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Add rice and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until warmed through. Stir in herbs. Season to taste.
6. Sprinkle chili slices on top of the beef before serving, if desired. Serve with parsley rice, sour cream, and tortilla chips.