STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE TRIFLE
Makes 8 to 12 glasses Prep Time 20 minutes Baking Time 30 minutes
3/4 cup cake flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup corn oil
4 egg yolks (from 4 large eggs)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites (from 4 large eggs)
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
FOR THE STRAWBERRY PURÉE
1 cup strawberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons rum or Grand Marnier (optional)
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
3 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (or more, if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
2. Sift together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together corn oil, egg yolks, water, and vanilla extract. Add to the flour mixture and mix until well combined and smooth.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to medium high and gradually add sugar. Whip until glossy and stiff.
5. Gradually fold the whipped whites into the batter, making sure it is wellblended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top springs back when touched. Do not prick. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, make the strawberry purée: Place strawberries, water, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Place in a blender and purée the mixture until smooth. Add rum or Grand Marnier, if using. Mix well, then set aside to cool.
7. Slice the cooled cake into 1-inch cubes. Brush with strawberry purée. Set aside.
8. Prepare the whipped cream: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and whip until stiff.
9. Assemble the trifle: Place 1 tablespoon whipped cream in each glass. Add strawberry slices. Add a few cake cubes (depending on the size of the glasses), then top with some strawberries and another dollop of cream. Drizzle some strawberry purée over the cream.
Repeat the process until each glass is filled.
10. Finish off each glass with whipped cream. Garnish with sliced strawberries.
Labels: STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE TRIFLE